The Lord's Revelation (John 10:27)
"Time moves forward every day, so move forward with it, and don't think backwards, think forwards. The past has no place in where you are going. My path is in front of you, not behind you."
How many times can you say that you allowed your past experiences stop you from doing something you wanted to do and then later you regretted it? Or how often do you think about something that happened that was negative, and later realize as time went by it was not as bad as you thought? We see things differently as time passes by and as our life moves forward. We do better when we move forward with it and leave the past behind.
Sometimes bad memories and hurt can get stuck in our minds and cling on for years if we let them, ruining our opportunities to move forward in the life God has planned for us. It is our natural self, our flesh, that holds onto things that were painful and traumatic so that we don't end up doing them again. Any type of situation that looks remotely the same, our natural mind sends out warning signals that we should avoid it rather than put ourselves at risk of being subjected to that same experience over again.
The truth is that nothing will ever happen in the same way as it did before, even if we try to make it the same. You can't duplicate past experiences whether good or bad, they will only be a version of, or have resemblances of the original experiences. The Holy Spirit told me this one day as I was praying, that He would give me the courage and boldness to do the things I needed to do, and the anxiety and fear would leave if I just give Him my past memories and thoughts. He told me that I needed to release them to Him continually in prayer. After doing this for several months, I found I was set free from the heaviness in my life, and finally I was no longer troubled and able to move forward in things I often shied away from. I stayed away from anything that reminded me of a bad experience which is only natural. I knew that God took the bad things and turn them into good things in our lives, but going through the worst times in my life and then seeing how He used them for the good, drew me even closer to Him. I learned I could really trust Him in all things. (1)
As the Holy Spirit works in us, He cleans us up and removes the chaff from our lives. He is our comforter and guide and helps us overcome all the challenges we face. But He cannot do it without our co-operation. He abides in us and we abide in Him (2), and He will work with us to rid us of all the obstacles that get in the way including our minds and our thoughts. (3)
When we pray in our Holy Spirit given language, tongues, He will show us what those obstacles are and give us an opportunity to release the troubled memories or thoughts that we cling onto even if we don't realize they are what are standing in the way. (4-6) That is how intimate the Holy Spirit knows us, and far better than we know ourselves. (7)
Holy Spirit Challenge: Take a moment and right down the past experiences that continually come up in your mind, even if it is only once in a while. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to show you if there are any thoughts or obstacles that are standing in the way of you moving forward in your life. Perhaps there is a root of unforgiveness, anger, resentment, etc. that stand in the way of you moving forward with something. The Holy Spirit will bring it to your attention. (8) Then ask the Holy Spirit to show you what you must do to get past the thoughts and obstacles so that you can live your life according to what God's plan is for it.
Dear Lord Jesus: I ask that you restore me to whole, renew my mind, cleanse and purify me that I will no longer shy away from the open doors you have given me to fulfil the plan you have shown me. Your plan for me is perfect, and I desire to live my life according to your will. Set me free from my past that I am no longer letting it take over my future. Thank you for all your provisions in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.
Bible Scripture References:
1. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
2. Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." (John 15:5-8)
3. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2)
4. "He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself" (1Corinthians 14:4)
5. "But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit." (Jude 20).
6. "To another many kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues" (1 Corinthians 12:10).
7. "And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered..." (Luke 12:7, Matthew 10:30)
8. "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you." (John 14:26;16:13)